Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wren Team Camping Trip

Hi Again!

How was everyone's weekend? Able to beat the heat of summer? Well, we decided to go on a Wren Team Camping Trip! Boy, was this a great idea! Unfortunately, our whole team wasn't able to attend. However Pro Staff Cole, Justin, I and our two amazing fur-babies Daisey and Betty went and had a wonderful time!

We went up to the rim country and camped off of Young road, it was close to several lakes for us to enjoy. We left Friday July 25 and planned to spend the next four days in peace and quiet, getting lost in the woods.

However, as soon as we got settled and camp set up I realized that we still had cell phone service. Then when I looked around all I saw was people GLUED to their phone! For me, that's a crazy thing. I mean I understand it's good in case we needed to make an emergency call! Yet I was baffled because it's camping and the point is to get out and enjoy nature at peace! Justin and I were SO EXCITED to be able to shut our phones off for the next four days to enjoy our camping trip, without screens and technology. Let's face it social media, and smart phones are the center of majority of people's universe now. It's fascinating and interesting, yes. But we need to get a grip, it's important to make connections with people and nature especially for hunting or fishing. This was a new thing to us, Justin and I have never camped off Young Road before. We usually go further north, where there's no one around and definitely no cell phone service. It was a beautiful spot, because when you're in the rim country everywhere is just gorgeous!



Friday Afternoon, we enjoyed fishing at Willow Springs. What an experience, Willow Springs is illegal stocked with Largemouth and small mouth bass, and green sunfish. Willow Springs is stocked with Trout from the hatchery's weekly from May - September.  There's even small tournament's for Bass for the locals, I thought that was neat! It's very controversial about the bass and sunfish being in the lakes where trout belong. Game and Fish don't like the bass to be in the lake because they eat trout and they worry the population will be affected. Yet, they stock the lake so much- why not keeps bass in there? With this, you found us enjoying some great bass and trout fishing throughout the whole weekend!

Friday Justin and Cole were able to get into a lot of small mouths and large mouths! We were so excited, I learned to fly fish for the first time Friday and was able to reel into one green sunfish, they were so pretty!

Saturday all day, we fished Willow Springs again! We were mostly bank fishing, and we did great! Again, the guys tore up the bass fishing while I got into some green sunfish and trout!  I was so proud; I even kept my trout and cooked it up for my dinner that night! It was my best trout yet! But, the best catch of the day was when I reeled in my line and on the end of my lure was lucky craft sexy shad pointers, my husband Justin's favorite jerk bait, talk about a score! Also in the same moment, Justin came quickly up to me with excitement saying he saw a trout on the edge of the bank fighting for his life so Justin helped him get going again, and just as the trout was swimming off for a second chance at life- SMACK a big ol largemouth swallowed him down and swam off. That was the craziest thing Justin had witnessed, and was so pumped he was able to see it happen.



When Sunday rolled around, we decided to change things up and head to our (Justin and I) favorite rim lake, Black Canyon Lake. The morning started our real rainy, which isn't new to the rim country. Black Canyon Lake is a smaller lake about 78 surface acres, so usually it's not very busy. Also- fun fact about Black Canyon Lake, it was a survivor of the Rodeo-Chediski Fire in 2002, most biologist and foresters expected the lake to silt up and become unusable. Fortunately they were wrong, it's a great lake and every year we go back it seems the habitat is growing stronger. Black Canyon Lake was also illegally stocked with green sunfish and largemouth bass. So again, you found us tearing up the bass fishing! We enjoy the morning there with lots of good fish to talk about. After Lunch time, we decided to stay close to camp and hit Willow Springs again! We spent most the afternoon there catching bass and sunfish. Until about 3:45pm a heavy rain swept through, we waited under trees for calm weather. As we waited it seemed everything kept getting progressively worse. So we headed back to camp to wait it out, as we weighed out our options we decided with the camp area flooding we needed to unfortunately pack up and get home!

This is where things get funny, now none of us wanted to leave earlier than we had planned but Mother Nature had another plan. So there we are packing up in the mud and pouring rain, while Justin and I remained calm and laughed it off- Cole was sure poopy. This is a perfect example "Life is divine chaos, embrace it" I tell ya what, we learned a lot about one another and how we each handled a situation. I say it was meant to happen this way to open our eyes to things we hadn't realized before. However, you'll find my husband and I am silly and really love to have fun so after we were about finished packing up, I started a mud fight! It was AWESOME, things got real messy and everywhere but the point was it was the best part of the sour situation. :)

In the end it was an amazing weekend, and I'm so glad we got to get out and enjoy a camping trip!

All weekend, we were on vacation so we played around with some lures we enjoy! However, we did reel in some wren fish to stay true to Cactus Wren Outdoors! We fished Drop Shot and Tully Shakers with NEW Color Ridge walkers, Copper Basin and Horny Toad Talking Sticks. Stay Tuned we have killer NEW Products Coming SOON!


Thank you for fishing with Cactus Wren Outdoors and Following Along, until next time!


Tight Lines,

Alex Butel
www.cactuswrenoutdoors.com




































No comments:

Post a Comment